Tips for living in Malaysia (with a focus on Expats)
- If you want a cheap plan the super long life plan from Digi is a great option.
- Overall the internet providers are not great. If you care about a good connection fiber is the way to go, but many locations (even in KL, Penang and JB don’t offer it). Unifi seems to be by far the best fiber option. Try to get your real estate agent to filter options based on fiber availability but unless you manage to find a much better than average agent don’t take their word for it – check yourself. Without fiber you can get decent access but often with high latency, bad download bandwidth at times, and being completely offline sporadically and customer support problems, etc.. Sadly Unifi doesn’t even have a clearly labeled page on their fiber offering for me to link to.
- Our own Living in Johor Bahru tips page
- Johor Bahru houses and condos for rent and purchase
- Johor Bahru expat tips
- computer repair – several people have recommended techserv
- MM2H forum has large Penang contingent, local meetings etc.
- American Association of Malaysia – The AAM holds several local tours and workshops each month on a variety of topics of interest to residents in KL