The ruins of St. Paul’s Church rest on the top of St. Paul’s hill overlooking Malacca (UNESCO world heritage site).
The is part of the Malacca Museum Complex comprising the A Famosa ruins, the Stadthuys and other historical buildings.
The original church was a simple chapel built in 1521.
In 1548, St. Francis Xavier with the help of fellow Jesuits, Fr. Francisco Peres and Brother Roque de Oliveira, established a school in the premises of the chapel known as St. Paul’s College. This was perhaps the first school in the modern sense to be established on the Malay peninsula.
The conquest of Malacca by the Dutch in 1641 saw the church change hands (to Dutch reformed). Over time it fell into disuse. When the British occupied Malacca in 1824, the church was used as a powder magazine and was allowed to deteriorate further.
The site is a nice place to visit on a walk around historic Malacca.